About halfway through last year, I posted about the books I'd read from January to June. I was surprised at the tally, and out of interest in number and variance, carried on with my list. So, now 2011 is over, here's part two...
July
Watching The English - Kate Fox (Laugh out loud sociology that reassured me I'm properly English and my speech will always point to my working class roots, no matter how many broadsheets I read in first class train carriages)
Room - Emma Donoghue (Devoured in two days. Original, brave, sad, and well deserving of it's many award nominations)
Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro (Also brilliant. Read the book instead of watching the film, because i'm that way inclined, and it massively appealed to my love of ethical debate. If you liked Brave New World, read this)
August
Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell (Came in the post on recommendation. A World Book Night title that I must get round to passing on!)
September
Blood, Sweat & Tea - Tom Reynolds (Collected blog posts of a paramedic working in London. The highs and lows of working on the NHS front line...)
October
When God Was A Rabbit - Sarah Winman (Weird and wonderful, the story of a bizzare but beautiful family who really know the meaning of the word)
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger (A favourite of mine, picked up when I needed something I knew I loved and could disappear into for several hours to forget about real life)
November
Lady Chatterley's Lover - D H Lawrence (Been meaning to try it for a while, and found inspiration at an exhibition about banned books! Readable, but not as good (or as shocking!) as I wanted it to be)
December
Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov (Another re-read that for some reason took months of picking up and putting down to get through this time. A shame, because it's excellent, if a little long wonded from time to time)
Book of Short Stories - The Guardian Review [various authours] (A nice little collection including some quite prolofic writers and very varied subjects. I'm a fan of these kind of collections at bedtime, to prevent me reading an entire book before I notice it's 3am..)
A considerably shorter list, you'll notice. I got a bit busy about August (damned work, cutting into my reading time). Lots of bestsellers, with a few classics thrown in, and mostly really good ones. The grand total for the year is thirty-one books. I think this comprehensively proves me to be a bookworm...
Saturday, 24 December 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment