I AM: in bed, and too warm, and wishing the foxes would be quiet.
Be warned - this evening I have nothing of note to talk about, so this is all just my mind wandering through lack of human contact. I'm home alone, you see, my flatmates both being across the water (in different directions, you understand). I can't decide whether I am generally pro or anti this. Today, I like it. I was awfully productive this afternoon because I could do jobs when I felt like it, spread out my books all over the living room and have the tennis on in the background. Some days, I just sort of wander around the house needing a bit of direction!
Speaking of tennis - OH MY GOODNESS! Wimbledon has started, and with it comes the usual feverish excitement. I feel quite proud of myself for having taken some notice of other tournaments this year, so have adopted the attitude of someone who has a vague idea what's going on and can therefore comment. This evening saw many records broken, with a fifth set carried over from yesterday's match between Nicolas Mahut and John Isner taking 10 hours - and still not finished when play had to be suspended at 21.10 for poor light. 59 games all in the final set! It's absolutely amazing - partly because it's unheard of, but mainly (for my medic and recent marathon runner colleague and I, anyway) for the physical stamina involved. Isner could barely move by the end, they barely had a break all day, and it's been 28 degrees here in SW19 today! I'm very impressed, as you may have noticed. Also interested to see if they both make it out onto court tomorrow and whether they get to play on Centre Court for the Queen, and distinctly disgruntled that I won't see the end of the match because I'll be at the hospital (I don't think I can really justify 'studying' at home for the third afternoon in a row, do you?).
In the world of medicine, I tagged onto a ward round this morning mainly to show my face to the consultant (who turned out to be on leave this week), but was pleased to find two doctors with a slow day and a willingness to revise lots of things with me (especially since the F1 is sitting her MRCP soon!). Invitation to help on call tomorrow as well, so turned out pretty productive. Surprising, given that I went out to see some much missed friends last night in a very impromptu manner, and stayed later and drank more cider than I planned for. Oops.
Spent the weekend wrestling with a job application, and being put in a very bad mood by it. Having never filled in such things before (these are 'proper job' forms, none of the retail nonsense I've dealt with for years), it was a nightmare! How one is supposed to illustrate qualities relating to the domains of GMC's 'Good Medical Practice', with an example and an explanation of how it's relevant to applying for an academic foundation programme in 75 words, I do not know. Hopefully I managed to cover half of the points. We'll see - shortlist for interviews is out on 6th July - you'll know when I know! Sadly, there are two more of these beastly things still to contend with before finals.
Okay. Now I've bored you with a whole heap of nothing, I shall leave you with a shameless plug: my adorable flatmate is also a blogger. She does it better than me, and mainly sticks to the topic of FOOD. Go see her at www.daisybakes.co.uk!
Wednesday, 23 June 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment