Sunday, 24 January 2010

It had to happen sometime

I AM: sad, for the first time.

I think it's not too bad going, a whole week in without getting sad for home. Well, by my standards, anyway! So far I think it's been staved off by the fact that lots of the people i'm missing I don't see more often than every few weeks anyway. I'working very hard on ignoring it, and going and doing something if I feel a bit bleurgh, and so far it's working well. Actually I think this has all been triggered by going out and doing fun things with people I wouldn't normally and don't know that well, which is a bit backwards. Well, that and I put an OK GO album on, which normally makes me bounce around the kitchen, but had a somewhat sobering effect this morning, probably because Daisy and Katie and I have a shared love of them!

Anyway. Georgie, Jon and Phil are the other St George's students that are here so far, also on the general medical rotation with me. Amy is Phil's wife. We all went into the city on Friday evening, had great chinese food, amazing ice cream, and a few bottles of wine in a rather lovely bar, and it was lots of fun. Walking home from the bus less so, but nevermind. Then yesterday we all went to the beach at Victor Harbour, about 50 mins drive away. Took a picnic, lounged about, marvelled at the waves as tall as Jon (who is very tall), and had pizza so good for dinner i'm considering making the trip back just for it. And then fell asleep on the way home! All very lovely, and don't get me wrong, I enjoyed myself, but somehow it's not quite the same when it's not your usual crowd of close friends. However, I shall stop being a party pooper about it, because i'm hoping they will become my close friends, and every relationship has to start somewhere. I just miss you guys. Being at the beach made me miss my St Andrews friends, and being out for drinks and dinner made me miss my London peoples. And then coming home to an empty house made me miss everybody. Boo.

So, we need to end on a positive slant. This afternoon I will be going into the shops to try and get my hands on a haggis. Failing that, I'm going to ask a butcher nicely to mince up the required parts of a sheep, and i'm going to buy barley and lots of peppery spices and attempt to make it myself. Watch this space - it's likely to be hilarious for anyone who isn't me! I am already regretting suggesting Burn's supper though, and not trying to sort this out last week when the butcher might have had time to make the haggis himself. Still, I can but try!

Even more promisingly for my mood, I've been loosely invited to a barbeque/party on Tuesday (Australia day and a public holiday) by one of the class (ironically not an Australian herself, but I don't think it's her throwing the party). I get the impression there will be lots of my class there for me to get to know, so I see great new friends potential there. Must be proactive about it.

So that's about it for the time being - I must actually do some of the studying I sat down to start an hour ago before the sun goes over the top and into my windows and turns my flat into a sauna. This first week has been okay, not dramatically exciting, but work rarely is I suppose! As we were firmly told on day 1 - this is not a holiday, you are here to work. This doesn't stop us plotting to go to Kangaroo Island as soon as possible, however....

No comments:

Post a Comment