Monday, 22 February 2010

Astronauts in tutus and other weird stuff

I AM: in the library, pretending to study.

Figured I wasn't getting any useful studying done, so instead of just messing about on the internet, I'd write you guys an update and at least be a little productive.

So, you'd like to hear about my busy weekend? Of course you would. You wouldn't bother visiting otherwise. Yep, i'm going to keep telling myself that.

Friday night was great, Saturday was pretty cool, and Sunday was alright. (This is the abridged version - stop reading now if you want to avoid the waffle.)

So, after school Friday we trundled into the city for the Fringe opening parade. It was full of weird and wonderful costumes and craziness that I didn't understand, but was much fun anyways! And beforehand, we went to a pub and had drinks and dinner (they only served pizza, which was interesting), and if it hadn't been so sunny I could have been in the Tap n tin. It was a bit surreal. Not least because Robin insisted I'm Irish, after drawing me a very detailed map of Canada.

Parade over, there was a complicated phone call and wandering arrangement in an attempt to manouevre two large groups together - a plan that seemed doomed from the start, there were so many people (more than I had any idea that Adelaide contained. I'm not sure how they managed it. Alex said something about herding cats. And Ed got lost a lot of times. We resorted to moving in chains holding hands later on, for safety! Free concert in the park after parade was pretty good, there was a bit of dancing despite the music leaving quite a lot to be desired, and it was nice to be out. We finally left at 1am, wandered about wondering how to get home and coughing our lungs up from the dust bath in the park, and eventually found a bus to pack into. Fun times. I then woke up next morning with very little voice, and am still not entirely recovered, three days on!

Saturday morning was nice and lazy, a few domestic jobs and scrambled eggs for breakfast, then back into the city in the afternoon for Gluttony. This was misleadingly sold (for $12.75) as a wine and food festival, so you can imagine our dismay, having turned up and collected our complimentary wine glasses, at discovering that there wasn't a lot to see, and the glasses were all we were getting for our entry fee... You'd have thought there would be samples as well, right? Not just us being naive? Anyway, it improved later, when we got 10 minute taster sets of some of the Fringe comedy acts, some of which were very good - we're going to see the full shebang from Dead Cats Bounce (Irish rock & roll comedy band) - and then they showed a load of short films. Very nice to lounge around in the park with a beautiful glass of wine (must remember it's called Moscato - sweet and bubbly), some good if harrowing movies and interesting people to talk to in between. And there was ice cream on the way home, to top it off. We'll ignore the horrendous problems encountered with the getting home part of the equation. Suffice to say I won't be sad to not see that bus stop on King William Street this week, and immense gratitude to Mikey for the company until stupid o'clock.

Sunday was shorter than it ought to have been, given that I slept until noon, by some miracle. Stinking headache most of the day, shaken off long enough to get to Glenelg, see a few more films at Tropfest, and eat lovely belated Chinese New Year dinner at Shao's. Then wait at the same sodding bus stop again.

Monday morning has been good, I'm reportedly a good 'wingman' for the intern! And successfully took some blood. I'll be getting confident, next.

This is all for now. Have tutorials this afternoon, then probably should do some of that studying I keep talking about. Oh, for the medics among you, have been introduced to an electronic flashcards programme - Anki - which is very clever at efficiently teaching you stuff. I'm hoping it'll make me less stupid looking on the wards, and make revision a whole lot more productive. Check it out!

Have fun, peeps.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment