Monday, 1 February 2010

Mixed bag

I AM: torn between sad news from one friend and exciting news from another

...hence the mixed bag. A bad start to the day with the sad news email, but a much snappier finish with an excitable phone call! I realise I sound cryptic, but I don't want to start letting cats out of bags inadvertently (don't panic though, no one's health is endangered or anything like that). I was also quite sad to realise what might be the worst thing about being so far away from home for so long - I'm not there when bad things happen to look after the people I care most about. :( Still, have others on the case!

Oh, a big welcome to Kirsty, who's the latest to show an interest in reading my exploits! Enjoy the rambling, won't you...

So, I suppose you want an update. Well, weekend was good, despite me suffering from sleeeeeeeepiness induced by lots of sunny days and late nights. Dinner at Georgie's on Friday, with a bike test drive which was very successful. Then a leisurely getting up on Saturday and a venture into the city centre - pictures on Facebook - and in particular the Central Market (yep, it really does have capital letters). There was lots of lovely food on sale, fruit and veg, cheese, meat of some interesting varieties (going back soon to get some kangaroo steaks), coffee, dried fruit and nuts, bread, cakes, yoghurt... All very lovely, although not quite as exciting as I expected from all the hype, I have to say. I was expecting stuff other than food, so maybe that's why - perhaps Ann has taken me to Greenwich one too many times?! I did see an antiques market across the street though, so I might have a Portobello substitute, and Rundle Street market is sounding like a promising alternative to Greenwich. I suppose that makes Central the equivalent of Borough. Hmm.

Sunday, after a few hours study (I am doing something useful), made the hour and a half trek to Henley Beach (North West of where I live in Marion), to Grant and Katie's house for a bit of beach time, dinner and TENNIS. The beach was rather disappointing, as it was blowing a gale so we all just got stung by sand blowing around because it's so soft here! Dinner was great. Tennis was exciting, but as I'm sure you know, also disappointing in the end. So, that was my weekend. School started again today with a vengeance - 8am lecture with a poncy cardiologist who talked at 90 mph (sorry, about 55 kph - must start using local lingo) and sounded like he was some kind of salesman with his "i'll say that again..." ditty. I was pleased about it, as you can tell. This evening was better though - had dinner with my landlords/neighbours/family I kind of live with. Very nice to be in a family house and getting to know them all a bit better. Neriah (age 5) told me about taking photos for family tree show and tell at school tomorrow, and Talia (age 4) was very keen to demonstrate that she's learnt to do the splits! Very domestic and fun.

Tomorrow is the first cycling to school day. I'm a bit on the nervous side, having not done a dry run so not being entirely sure of the way! I suppose if all else fails I can walk the bike across the big roads and follow the bus. Hopefully it won't come to that though! They're pretty good with their cycle paths here, which will be nice. I don't anticipate having to work out lanes of traffic or anything.

For now, however, I have to be boring - there's ironing to be done, a shower to be had and an early night needed. So, I shall bid you all goodnight, and hopefully write again soon.

Love to all, special hugs for the person who's sad, and congratulations to the one who's not xxxx

2 comments:

  1. Have to say I'm extremely intrigued- though big hugs to the sad one and big congratulations to the happy one.
    Loving your blog x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teehee- we told his parents yesterday so now we can put it up on facebook etc...

    Woohoo! Steve and I are engaged :-D OMG so excited!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete